Skip to main content

I Chose Elbi :)

As I helped in today’s Freshmen Registration Assistance, I can’t help but reminisce in the journey that I have taken in the last year or so.

A year or so ago, my journey started. The first time I set foot in UPLB was for my medical check-up, the second time was for my registration, the 3rd time was when I fixed my dormitory accommodation  and `finally I came back for the official start of classes.

Never did I expect that I would ever get more than I bargained for, Elbi has now become my home or at least my second home. City life has always been my life, I have been used to the hustle and bustle on the streets,  the malls and shopping centers that seem to be everywhere in the metro.
Studying in UPLB has been a welcome change, not only was it a change in my surroundings but I can happily say that Elbi has changed me as a person.

I know a year in the university is not that long a time, to me however, one academic year of stay already feels like I have been here for eternity, I cannot imagine what my life would be like have I chosen another path.

The first semester is what I would call the adjustment period wherein I learned the basics of living by myself for the first time ever. It was the time that I learned the value of independence and I came to cherish my new found freedom. It became the time where I made friends, made connections and really it was the semester where something happened which really changed the course of my college life. July 13 would now always hold a special place in my heart and at the same time a number of people now have a permanent place in it J

As I adjusted to Elbi I became more aware of what is happening around me, I realized just how screwed up society is and I learned so many new things. I came to realize the truest essence of serving the people. 


2 regular semesters and a summer term later, I am still in LB and my life is in full swing, I know that I still have a long way to go, but then I know that I will never be alone. Elbi is now what I can call home and I would not change the past year for anything. It has been great and I am looking forward to creating more memories and continuously serving the people J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Trust Feels Conditional

  There are moments in life when someone begins to feel like every move they make is under surveillance — not out of care, but out of doubt. She feels it deeply now. Supposedly, everyone around her stands as equals. Supposedly, they are her friends. But in reality, she senses something different — something heavy. To her, it feels like people are just waiting for her to make a mistake. Every action she takes is questioned, every decision second-guessed. She notices how others are given space to move freely, to make choices without judgment. But when it comes to her, it’s as if the rules suddenly change. The trust that others receive without question is something she has to earn — over and over again — and even then, it’s never really granted. What’s worse is how these people claim it’s all out of care and concern. But to her, it feels hollow — like a twisted version of compassion. It's as if they’ve become emotionless, robotic in the way they interact — driven more by quiet resentm...

Someday, I Shall Also Sablay — But Not Yet

  When I left for Europe, it wasn’t just a trip. It was a mission, a commitment. I went as part of the Philippine UPR Watch delegation, carrying with me the stories of our people, the struggles back home, and our collective hope for justice and accountability. As the Lead Convenor of Defend Southern Tagalog, I stood in rooms and on streets across different cities, speaking not only for myself but for communities silenced and marginalized for far too long. I thought that after fulfilling this deeply meaningful work, I would come home to another dream finally coming true: my graduation. I imagined arriving back home fulfilled, tired but triumphant, and soon after, walking across the stage wearing my sablay — the symbol of years of hard work, sleepless nights, and unending perseverance. But life had other plans. I found out I wasn’t graduating while I was already in Europe. In between meetings, human rights conferences, and advocacy visits, I received the news that shattered me. A ...

A Beautiful Ending, or a New Beginning?

  After almost a year, we met again. We saw each other. You’ve changed a lot — I told you that. You said I still looked the same. We had coffee, shared a drink from the same cup, and you agreed to come home with me — to the family that once called you their own. You were there again, and it felt so familiar. So soft. So quietly significant. We talked about life — where we’ve been, how we’ve changed, how the world moved forward even without each other. And maybe because I know you too well, I caught it. That moment when something you said didn’t feel like the truth. I didn’t call it out. I didn’t have to. I knew. Maybe it was a lie. Maybe it was protection — for you, for me, for whatever we still didn’t have the words for. But here’s what I do know: That night could have been the start of something new… or it could’ve been the closure I didn’t know I was waiting for. I love you. That much I’m sure of. God knows how much I love you — even after everything. But maybe what we sh...